We’re hiring an Associate Editor
Broadview magazine (Broadview.org) is looking for a full-time (35 hours per week) Associate Editor to assign and edit our opinion and interview departments. The person in this position will also fact-check our features and manage the work of freelance fact-checkers. This position will be remote.
Broadview is focused on spirituality (from a progressive Christian perspective), social justice and ethical living. It is the oldest continuously published magazine in North America, with roots dating back to 1829. The print magazine is published eight times per year and delivered to paying subscribers. In 2021 and 2022, Broadview was named the best special interest magazine in Canada at the National Magazine Awards.
- Vet pitches and develop original and timely ideas for the Perspective (opinions and long interview) and Disruptor (short interview) departments
- Assign and edit writers for Perspective and Disruptor, bringing a wide range of diverse voices to Broadview’s pages
- Formally fact-check at least one feature per issue; manage a team of freelance fact-checkers for other features, ensuring their work is completed on time and to a high standard
- Compile letters to the editor and write contributors’ profiles
- Assist with production of the magazine, including proofreading and entering InDesign changes
- Participate in weekly editorial meetings, display writing meetings and other meetings as required
- Write two short articles or interviews per year
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication
- Exceptional substantive, copy editing and proofreading skills; familiarity with Canadian Press style
- Ability to work well with writers, from novice journalists to seasoned professionals
- A finger on the pulse of public dialogue — you read the news, follow the reaction on social media, and know where the conversation is headed
- An understanding of Christianity in general and progressive Christianity in particular
- A large network of writers, including people from equity-seeking groups and those with a range of religious beliefs
- Proven ability to fact-check a long-form feature
- Excellent time-management and multi-tasking skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Resourceful — someone who recognizes challenges and offers solutions
- A passion for journalism, magazines, social justice — or all of the above!
- Six months’ experience with formal magazine fact-checking
- Three years’ experience with editing and assigning
- Degree or diploma in journalism or a closely related field
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, InDesign and Google Workspace
- Proficiency with WordPress
Compensation: $50,000-$60,000 commensurate with experience, plus health benefits and pension plan
Please email a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com by February 9, 2024. Broadview is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity and gender expression.