Broadview — Canada’s longest running and best special interest magazine — is seeking a Director of Development to join our dedicated team.
Who’s the ideal candidate? You are excited by the opportunity to make a big difference for a small organization, to explore untapped fundraising opportunities, and to work hard to help Broadview meet its goals. You have exceptional interpersonal skills, and can thrive both independently and within a team. You’re passionate about social justice, progressive Christianity, magazine journalism — or all three! You’ve had proven success with major donors, legacy giving, foundations and digital fundraising. Established in your career, you’re craving an opportunity to take leadership in a small organization that’s nimble, takes risks and values new ideas.
Broadview is a multimedia organization focused on spirituality (from a progressive Christian perspective), social justice and ethical living. It is the oldest continuously published magazine in North America, with roots dating back to 1829. In spring 2021, Broadview won “Best Special Interest Magazine” from the National Magazine Awards. The flagship print magazine is published eight times per year and delivered to 25,000 paying subscribers.
As a registered charity since 1992, we are supported annually by 2,700 donors across Canada who give over $400,000. The fundraising team includes an experienced part-time fundraising manager and your supervisor, Broadview’s editor and publisher.
As Director of Development, you will:
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight on the development and execution of our overall fundraising program, and help establish annual fundraising goals;
- Provide leadership and oversight for establishing and maintaining fundraising policies, procedures, and internal controls to minimize risk and optimize quality assurance protocols;
- Plan, research and execute outreach to major donors and legacy/estate donors;
- Cultivate relationships with major donor and legacy prospects to develop their interest and participation in supporting Broadview’s mission and provide information concerning the use of the gifts;
- Train Broadview staff and board members to be effective major gift solicitors and provide coaching as needed;
- Research foundations and prepare related applications;
- Review and enhance our digital fundraising capabilities, in collaboration with our staff and digital developers;
- Plan and manage fundraising campaigns via Google, Facebook or other platforms;
- Liaise with any fundraising consultant engaged by Broadview or its board of directors;
- Liaise with Broadview’s fulfilment provider, a third-party company that hosts our donor database, to enable the smooth operation of the fundraising program;
- Demonstrate exceptional teamwork while reporting to the editor/publisher and working collegially with the fundraising manager;
- Set the agenda for regular progress update meetings with the editor/publisher and the fundraising manager;
- Monitor, analyze and deliver regular progress reports to the editor/publisher and the board of directors;
- Work collaboratively to determine Broadview’s annual fundraising marketing budget and adhere to it.
What we are looking for:
- A post-secondary education in business operations, marketing, fundraising, or business administration;
- 5-8 years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Advanced verbal and written English skills;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a fast-paced and changing environment with multiple conflicting demands, while maintaining meticulous attention to detail;
- High level of proficiency and accuracy in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom and CRM databases;
- Membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals; adherence to its Donor Bill of Rights;
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting charities.
- This position will work remotely; pending pandemic considerations, a hybrid working model (office and home) may be accommodated at our east Toronto office.
- Hours will be traditional office hours except where evening or weekend events require your attendance.
- $80,000 plus benefits, pension plan and three weeks’ vacation.
Send your cover letter and resume by Sept. 15, 2022 to email@example.com
Broadview is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity and gender expression. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We sincerely thank all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.